Since I promised to talk more about my "creative process", I thought I ought to let you know how I'm getting on with my quilt for the Doll Quilt Swap. I really enjoyed making all the little hexagons but I decided to make a little log cabin piece as well, just to see if that sparked off any other ideas.
This is the first one I came up with, using the same fabrics that I used for the hexagons. I think you all know that I do love a log cabin! I was a bit concerned that I would end up making just a typical "Rachel style " scrappy log cabin and that it would be a bit predictable, but I've had so much positive feedback from the group (plus the general feeling among all the participants that we should all stay true to ourselves) that it's really encouraged me to just go with my gut. So I made another one. At this point I started to wonder if I could incorporate both the log cabins AND the little hexies into the quilt. This is a classic case of me making it up as I go along!
I'm now busily sewing these little hexagons together (this isn't all of them). These will eventually be surrounded by the grey fabric too, although I haven't decided yet whether to just applique them onto the grey, or make more hexies from it. My current thinking is that I will have the log cabins on one half of the quilt and the hexies on the other, possibly with another colour fabric as a border around each half. I think it's a case of "try it out and see" - I may well end up making a completely different quilt! But I'm certainly having fun experimenting!