Once I had all the pink hexies sewn together, I wanted them to be surrounded by the same grey fabric. I did briefly consider applique-ing (?) the hexies onto the grey, but decided to try more hexies. By this point I had a rough idea of how I wanted the finished quilt to look, but was still not sure if it would actually work or, indeed, if it would look nice. Nothing ventured, nothing gained and all that, so I was just kind of going with the flow and hoping for the best! My plan was to have the two panels, log cabins and hexies, side by side on the quilt but with white sashing around the two panels.
This was the most nerve wracking bit - I had to take the tacking & papers out of the hexies around the edge in order to attach the sashing. Honestly, my hands were actually shaking slightly! I have absolutely no idea if this is how it's meant to be done, I really was just winging it!
And here is where we are now, white sashing attached all the way round and the top is done! I haven't yet posted a "full reveal" shot on Flickr so this is all you can see for now. I actually felt a little bit emotional when it was finished! I don't think I've put this much heart and soul into a quilt before, plus I was pushing myself a little out of my comfort zone by trying things I'd not done before, but the response on Flickr has been brilliant - so many lovely comments. I now have plenty of time to think about the backing and quilting - being a quilt of two quite different halves, I really have no idea how to quilt this! I'm going to stick with hand quilting, as that is what I feel comfortable with, but whether I just stitch in the ditch or try something a bit more adventurous is yet to be decided.