The Brit Quilt flickr group is running it's first swap, making mini/doll quilts, which I couldn't resist signing up for. We got our partner info on Sunday evening and I've been stalking my partner, checking out her blog and her favourites to try and get an idea of what to make for her. So far, I've been completely unable to come with anything particularly imaginitive, so I decided to have a go at making a values quilt, using half square triangles. I've not done one of these before, or even made anything much using HSTs so I thought this would at least be a good opportunity to try something new. (And, as I'm thinking of using this technique for my "heathers" quilt, it would be a good way to get in some practice!)
I'm trying to avoid having to buy any more fabric at the moment, so this is a really good scrap busting pattern. I spent quite some time yesterday cutting out little 3 inch squares, then sewing them together, cutting, pressing and finally, trimming them down to 2.5inches. My poor rotary cutter is pretty much blunt now! At one point I did start to wonder why I'd chosen to make the pieces so small, but they do look very pretty, so I think it'll work out ok!
The next step is to lay the squares out and play around with the design, so I'll keep you posted on that.
And now the random stuff...
* Will had a brilliant end of year report and, at the parent/teacher meetings all the teachers we saw had nothing but praise for him. We're so proud of him!
* Joe is currently doing end of year tests at school and, apparently, is coping quite well with them so far. However, we're having some difficulties during the time spent waiting outside school in the morning before the gate opens, and I've had to take him in for the last few mornings. I think we might have to come a little later so that we don't have to wait for the gate to open and can just go straight in.
* We are done with gymnastics. Joe was adamant that he wanted to continue with it but, 20 mins into his first session, he was lying on the floor refusing to join in. We had a fair bit of this last term but I had told him quite firmly that he either joins in or we don't do it. I couldn't persuade him to join in so we left and I requested a refund. I was pretty furious with him, I can tell you!
* Swimming, however, is going really well. Just as well as it's costing me a fortune for the one-to-one lessons!
* Tomorrow is my Daddy's 80th birthday! We are having a little family party for him on Saturday - I'm in charge of cupcakes and puddings!
* I am putting myself back on the fabric diet. We have reached that point in the year when things start to get a little tight (and we still have hols, birthdays and Christmas to come - ack!) so I'm trying to reign in the spending a bit. I'm going to allow myself to buy stuff that I need in order fo finish a couple of WIP's, but no more "buying fabric just because it's pretty and I can't resist"!
* With that in mind there may well be some more destashing going on soon. I may offer some more fabric swaps or I might list some scrap packs in the shop - watch this space.