The first week back at school after a break usually sees me playing catch-up with jobs around the house, but this week I've been concentrating on finishing my quilt for the Brit Quilt Swap. I think last time I showed you I had only added a linen border around my HST block - the next thing was to add a skinny, scrappy border...
I picked some of my favourite fabrics that I had used in the half square triangles, and I think there are a couple of extras too - I was trying to get a good balance of colours and tones. I had some fabulous suggestions from the other swappers as to how to continue but, because I was making this solely from my stash/scraps I was obviously limited by what I had. A few people suggested adding another border of linen but, unfortunately, I just didn't have enough, so I decided to try out some bright turquoise quilters linen instead.
I think this worked really well. Any more scrappiness, in either another border or the binding would, I think, have just made it too busy, so I decided to leave it at that and move on to the quilting. Now, I usually prefer to hand quilt, because I love doing it and also I still haven't beaten my fear of free motion quilting but, in this instance, I felt that some straight line machine quilting would actually look best for the centre block, so I just quilted around the diamond shapes, about a 1/4" away from each seam line. My machine is well overdue for a service and the tension is a bit dodgy sometimes but, thankfully, it all worked fine, and I was really pleased with the effect it gave.
Finally, yesterday it was time to add the binding, and I chose a very dark charcoal (well, it's pretty much black actually!) quilters linen, and got to work putting that on yesterday. Unfortunately, in my excitement at getting the binding on I completely forgot to add the hanging corners first!! Doh! Hopefully my partner won't mind, and maybe she'll want to use it on a table or something instead anyway ;) But anyway, here it is at last, finished!
And here's the back. I have to admit that I am feeling quite proud of myself and, although I had no real plan in mind when I started this, it's come together beautifully and I absolutely love it! I will be very sad to say goodbye and would very happily keep it, but my partner does seem to love it too, so it will be shortly heading off to it's new home. I still need to add a label, but my right index finger now has a little sore spot on it from all the stitching over the last few days (I don't use a thimble, but perhaps I ought to think about it...) , so I'm going to give it a day or two off!