Will's quilt is finally finished! As predicted, I ran out of quilting thread and had to place an emergency order for some more, but as soon as that arrived I was able to finish off the last little bit of quilting, and then got busy with the binding. I love doing the binding, I think it might possibly be my most favourite part of the whole process. Although I almost had a disaster when I realised that I had cut it rather fine with the length - there was only a couple of inches of overlap of the ends - but I managed to get them joined without any hassle and then settled down to hand stitch it to the back. Finally, yesterday it went into the wash - and now it is done!
I am super happy with how it turned out. And, better still, Will has said that it was worth waiting for. This has been over a year in the making (Will thinks it took me 2 but I think 18mths might be a closer guess!) The main reason for that is that, after I had pieced the top I fell rather out of love with it, thinking it was too plain, too boring. It was also enormous!! I had followed measurement suggestions for a twin size quilt but I'm sure it would have fitted on our bed! So a little bit of surgery was required to remove some of the excess fabric to make it a more manageable size. And now that it is quilted, bound and nicely crinkled from it's wash, I am much happier!
Size: Approx 64" square
Fabric: Kona solids in various shades of blues, with Kona ash on the back. Bound with Pezzy prints in grey and aqua.
Quilting: Randomly spaced "organic" straight lines
Now, of course, Joe is asking when his new quilt will be ready. Hmm, he may have to wait a while...