This week, I've really enjoyed reading all the quilty secrets that folks have been confessing to, started by Amy at 13spools, so I thought I'd join in :-)
1. If the quilt police were real, I'd have been locked up by now I'm sure, because I don't pre-wash fabric, I iron instead of pressing, I rarely change my sewing machine needle and I sew over pins (although it seems like everyone does at least one of these things, hence me lumping them all together!)
2. I don't follow patterns. I think I have followed a quilt pattern to the letter maybe once or twice but, although I frequently see patterns that I love, usually one look at the cutting instructions is enough to put me off! I'm a fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants kind of gal!
3. I am not a big fan of pre cuts. I've used a layer cake once or twice, only one jelly roll, which left so much fluff EVERYWHERE!, and although I have purchased charm packs a few times, they usually just end up scattered throughout my scrap bin.
4. I don't get the fuss about Aurifil thread. I mean, I use it, but that's mostly because I buy fabric online and that seems to be the thread of choice with the shops I use, so it's convenient. I like that it comes in lots of pretty colours and bigger spools but I can't say I've noticed it being any better or worse that the other threads I've used. (And I still get a heck of a lot of lint in my machine!)
5. I'm not great at trimming - I tend to just hack off any obvious overhangs while piecing with a pair of scissors and I don't square up my quilts either, again, I just eyeball it with the scissors!
6. I don't keep my selvedges. I used to - because it seemed to be the done thing - but I never used them so, unless it's a really, really pretty one I (brace yourselves...) throw them away!! (Is anyone still there? Please don't hate me!!)
7. I tend to automatically shy away from anything that is getting alot of "hype" - so I don't have an Accuquilt cutter thing, have never made a Swoon or Scrappy Trip Around the World block, and have no plans to buy any Cotton + Steel fabric (although, OK, I might reserve the right to change my mind about that one...)
8. I have never purchased any Liberty fabric. It's pretty enough and I have seen some stunningly beautiful things made with it, but it just doesn't do it for me. (Actually, the same goes for fabrics by some of the other "big names" - who I have probably only ever purchased from a couple of times)
9. If you've read this blog for any length of time, you will know that I'm not big on naming my quilts, but I also don't bother labelling them either (unless it's being given as a gift, which isn't that often!)
10. Despite Rhonda's best efforts in the quilt along we did together about three years ago, I have absolutely no desire to learn how to FMQ. Tried it just that once and vowed "never again!" and I'm sticking to it!
So, those are mine, what are your secrets?